Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Money makes the world go round...

Well we are back from our crazy and awesome road trip across the country!  It was really, really nice to see so many family members!
Plus we got to explore all the cities we went to which was great.  Phill loved Pittsburgh which was nice, so it's on the radar for the future.  
Pittsburgh, PA

Okay, so something that's been nagging at me for a little bit: many times when I talk to new people or people who do not know Phill one of the first questions they tend to ask is what it is that we do for a living.  I'll tell them and I promise that nine times out of ten the first thing they say is, "So you're never going to have any money, huh?" or some variation of that.  
I am floored every time I encounter that.  First of all that's a pretty big generalization (do they really understand technical theatre to begin with etc.) but most importantly to me: should that have had an impact on my life decisions?  I mean after date number three should I have said something along the lines of, "By the way, if we plan on getting married I'm going to need you to make more money".
Sorry, I don't operate that way!

It's really odd to me only because making a lot of money has never been a goal of mine.  Yes, being able to live comfortably and pay all my bills on time is up there with things to do, but as far as trying to get a lot of money just to have it, or to buy lots of stuff as a status thing?  Not for me.  Wedding planning goes along with that I think as it's bringing about many great discussions between the two of us regarding money and how we view it and spend it and save it which is very important.

So I'll just keep on giving a polite little laugh when people inform me of what my financial/living situation will be like for my entire life based off of what they think my job entails because if they had the psychic ability to correctly predict all that they would certainly have more money then they do now.

Us in Kansas City! 

No comments: