Wednesday, April 14, 2010

And all I really want to know is I don't want to know...

Music is my time machine.
I find it so comforting to play an album from some other time in my life and just listen straight through.  It transports me back to whenever it was a part of my life.  Arcade Fire's Funeral puts me in Evansville, IN cutting through USI's plaza past the fountain we jumped in one night walking to rehearsal.  Third Eye Blind's first release has me up early on a Sunday exploring the bookshop in Evanston, IL before heading back to my dorm at Northwestern.  The Offspring is sitting in Chantilly's booth with Mike.  No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom is riding on The Empire Builder on the way to Montana.  Better Man is Scali, Faqir,
and Phil working on the Don't Drink the Water set after school sophomore year.  And Pixies is the opening night party of Othello when Phill and I first really talked and found out about our shared love of the band.
Lately I've been reflecting on my time at college.  It has truly been a great journey.  There were ups and downs and the good, the bad, and the ugly.  Trips to Atlanta, Philadelphia, DC, Chattanooga, New York, Orlando, and Memphis.  I've finally settled into my myself.  It used to kind of bother me that I didn't like the "right" music or clothes or movies, but I'm okay with who I am now.  Music was the biggie.  I have a tendency to latch onto bands that are no longer around/producing music and that's unfortunate.  I've collected so much music in the past 4 years.  Along with this comes new memories.
I'll never be able to listen to Death Cab without immediately thinking of Kelsey.  Laura's introduced me to The Avrett Brothers, The Weakerthans, and The Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs.  I can't help but associate Patti LuPone with Trevor (don't tell him, he'd hit me).  Kings of Leon is always, always Austin.
I have such vivid memories attached to songs.  Things hit me in huge waves.  Sometimes they're jarring, but for the most part they're something warm and fuzzy.  A happy thought to hold on to for a moment and then releasing it back out into the world.

Sorry for getting all bloggerish on you this morning, but I needed to vent.
~Marley

No comments: