Thursday, May 27, 2010

This is the day your life will surely change...

First post as a college graduate. 
Yay.
Okay lame business first: Phill left.  Yesterday he left for Kansas City and a visit with his parents where he'll stay for a bit before going on to his summer gig in Weston, VT.  He was here for 3 1/2 weeks and every minute of it was amazing.  He was able to go to my graduation, spend time with my family and friends, and help me move.  Talk about a fantastic boyfriend!  I get so frustrated when people lament over their "long distance relationships" and they live a whopping three hours from their loved one.  Phill and I have been: Orlando, FL - Richmond, VA, Santa Fe, NM - Charlottesville, VA, and now Weston, VT - Charlottesville, VA.  We see each other once every four months.  That's THREE TIMES A YEAR.  No holidays or weekend trips or vacations.  This is so ridiculous.  It's so, so, so very worth it though.  I just wish there was a definite end in sight.  We're working towards that though as best we can...


Graduation was WONDERFUL!  My family was there and Phill and my best lady friend Laura and my favorite professor/mentor/life hero Dr. T and we could sit by whoever the heck we wanted to in our department so I got to be with Kelsey and Trevor.  It was the School of the Arts graduation so it was intimate and fun!  There were people on stilts and rollerblades who processed in before us and threw confetti all over us afterwards.  It was great to have somebody call my name who knew me and I had spoken with many times and have somebody respectfully shake my hand HUG me who I had worked with, knew me, given me references and understood what I did for my degree!  I can't imagine going to a graduation with a ton of people I didn't know who have no clue what a stage manager is.  I got to be with a wonderful group of artists who are all proud and ready to go out and create!  I opted not to go to the gigantic ceremony since the Arts one was so nice and personal and I felt I got much more out of it.  My school is over 32,000 students so it was going to be a pretty gigantic thing.  I love, love, love the large student body because of the beautiful diversity, but my family was TheatreVCU and they're who I wanted to share the day with!  

I'm home for a little bit now working with the Cappies organization assistant directing their Gala awards ceremony at The Kennedy Center in two weeks.  I'm really stage managing, but there are title issues, so I was told I'm an AD?  My dad is directing so essentially I'm helping him out like I would usually, but I have an official title and it's a paid gig so it's cooler.  

RANDOM THING!  My Gmail notifier just informed me of an awesome email.  Woot job interview thing a ma bob in a week!!!!! Cross your fingers...

Anyways... now some pictures I love from graduation: 
The amazing Dr. T.  This woman is such an inspiration to me!


Laura Kim hug! 

Me and Phill.  :-) 
Me and Phill and my siblings

Kelsey, Trevor, and me.  
TheatreVCU BFA Stage Managers 2010
I could not have made it though without them.  
Watch out world. 
Nooga.


~Marley 

No comments: